FRESNO FLATS TOWNSITE
FRESNO FLATS WAS A FARMING AND SUPPLY CENTER FOR THE MINING AND LUMBER INDUSTRIES. THE LOCAL BLACKSMITH WAS KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE AREA AS THE ONLY ONE ABLE TO FABRICATE AND REPAIR LARGE WHEELS. THE OLDEST
STILL-OPERATING POST OFFICE IN MADERA COUNTY OPENED HERE IN 1874. TIRED OF HEARING “FRSNO FLATS, THAT’S WHERE CHARLIE ROBBED THE YOSEMITE STAGE!”, MRS. C. MEYERS CIRCULATED A PETITION AMONG NEWCOMERS TO
CHANGE THE NAME TO OAKHURST. WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT OF THE PIONEER FAMILIES IT BECAME OAKHURST IN 1912. THE DISGRUNTLED OLDTIMERS
NICKNAMED IT “OH, CURSED!” THE OLD MISSOURI SALOON IS TO THE EAST AND THE BLACKSMITH BARN TO THE WEST.
E CLAMPUS VITUS
GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49
Now known formally as Oakhurst, the town was originally named “Fresno Flats”. At this site today only two of the existing structures remain. The others have been relocated to the Fresno Flats Historical Park approximately 1 mile from the original site. This monument is located on Rd. 425B off of Crane Valley Rd., Oakhurst.